The Foundation for Advanced Continuing Education
is a teaching foundation dedicated to the advancement of the highest standards of dental treatment.
Courses are characterized by an atmosphere of openness and free exchange of ideas. The principles and techniques taught are based on scientific research and /or clinical evidence that has stood the test of time.In today’s changing world of HMO’s, and PPO’s,capitation, managed care and other third party interference in the practice of dentistry, it is invaluable to have a forum in which the philosophy, skills, and modalities necessary to develop an independent quality practice can be taught. The practices of each of the faculty at FACE are living proof that the true quality practice can flourish in any environment and it is our purpose to arm each participant with the information necessary to achieve that goal.
In 1974 Drs. Thomas Basta, Ron Roth and Gerry Preiner co-founded the Foundation for Advanced Continuing Education (FACE) in Burlingame, California.
FACE was the first of its kind interdisciplinary study club where Restorative dentist and Orthodontist leaned together how to treat complex cases to allow for the most stable and predictable long term results. Dr. Basta chaired the restorative department and Dr. Roth chaired the orthodontic department. The goal was to learn the importance of a team approach when diagnosing and treating patients. Initially, study groups were comprised of both restorative and orthodontic practitioners. Understanding the challenges and limitations of both orthodontic and restorative treatment was an enlightening learning experience for every participant in the program. The participants’ desire for more extensive training in their chosen fields however, led to the establishment of separate restorative and orthodontic programs. In 1990, Drs. Ron Roth and Bob Williams moved down the street and formed the Roth-Williams teaching group. Drs. Basta and Preiner continue to mentor and administrate the ” Advanced Restorative Dentistry” program at the FACE teaching facility. Participants in both of these programs continue to be trained in the pursuit of common treatment goals.
The Foundation for Advanced Continuing Education was originally established in 1974.
The ultimate goal of the training is to pass on to each participant the skills necessary to deliver the highest quality dentistry on the planet and develop a quality practice with special emphasis on clinical excellence, patient satisfaction, and true professional and personal fulfillment.
In 1997, Dr Jeff Brucia teamed up with Dr. Basta to advance the Restorative dental curriculum to include the most advanced adhesive and restorative techniques available and they continued to teach every class together until the passing of Dr. Basta in April of 2022.
Dr. Brucia has chaired all clinical education since 2015 when we moved from Burlingame, Ca to Tarzana, Ca.
Dr. Basta and Brucia made every effort to surround themselves with the very best educators in each area of dentistry. Our faculty includes Dr. David Hatcher (Cranio-facial Radiology), Dr. Kirk Pasquinelli (Implants and Periodontal care), Dr. Andy Girardot (Orthodontics), Dr. Straty Righellis (Orthodontics), Dr. Yo Mukai (Ortho-Orthognathic surgery), Dr.Ralan Wong (Endodontics) and Mr. James Patterson (Dental lab technology). Faculty and administrators include Ms. Susan Agnoletti, Dr. Curtis Rowe, Dr. William Hadlock, Dr. Lilia Martinez and Ms. Melba Culannay.
The goal today is as it was when Tom and Ron started the Foundation. To teach the knowledge and skills essential to providing the most successful and stable clinical care possible.
Dr. Jeff Brucia
a graduate of the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry where he is currently an Assistant Professor of Dental Practice. He is practicing Esthetic and Restorative dentistry full time in San Francisco, California. He is the 2011 recipient of the Gordon J. Christensen Recognition Lecturer Award.
Dr. Jeff Brucia
In 2021, he was presented with the Marvin C. Goldstein Burning Bush award for excellence in dental education. In 2010, Dr. Brucia was elected a fellow in the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry and presently serves as Academy President-Elect. He has also been selected by Dentistry Today as one of the top clinicians in dental continuing education today.
FACE is a three level program where each level will build on the material presented in the previous level and expand your knowledge and confidence when treating complex cases in your practice.
All programs are Wednesday-Sunday with the hours of Wed-Sat 9:00 am - 5:00 (sometimes later) and Sunday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Level 1 is 5 continuous days of learning.
Level 2 is 15 days over 5-6 months.
Level 3 is 20 days over 9 months.
Esthetic Professionals Center
18981 Ventura Blvd Suite 200
Tarzana, CA 91356
Starts Sept. 20-24th 2023
This 5 day class will include basic instruction in study model set up, dental materials and the fabrication/delivery of the F.O.S.A.
The F.A.C.E. Orthopedic Stabilizing Appliance (F.O.S.A.) is an occlusal splint that will provide a needed procedure for many in your practice today. Most every dentists utilizing the F.O.S.A. have found it an excellent way to add value to their dental practices.
”But I already know how to make a nightguard”
When are they indicated?
- Severely worn dentition.
- Symptomatic TMJs due to occlusal stimuli
- Stabilization of the TMJs before embarking on complex restorative treatment
- Stabilization of occlusion for improved results when treating Periodontal issues.
- Protecting Esthetic Porcelain & Resin Dentistry from the ravages of nocturnal Bruxing and Clenching.
February 1-5, March 29-April 2, June 7-11
This 15 day class will include more advanced techniques all areas or restorative dentistry.
Level 2 Topics
Live Patient Demonstrations
Clinical Portion With Partners
- Perfecting the FOSA technique. You should have already been making many of these with great success. We want to make sure you are not having any problems or questions.
- Location of the true hinge position and taking a true facebow and CR record. All mounting procedures that have a check list to verify every step of the procedure. Learning this technique will raise your level of clinical success to incredible heights. Imagine partial and full mouth cases that drop right to place with complete predictability. The workshop portion of the program will explore the world of simple to complex restorative dentistry with hands-on exercises on:
- More direct/indirect composite technques for the anterior and posterior direct and indirect restorations.
- Implant tissue shape transfer/ certification jigs and implant denture conversion.
2. A full day with Kirk Pasquienlli on all areas of periodontal care and implant treatment.
3. Presentation from Dr. Yo Mukai on orthodontic set up and orthognathic surgery cases.
4. Complex cases from start to finish using the knowledge that you are learning in the class
5. Treatment planning your current clinical cases. Bring in your patient’s mounted models, images and records and sit with Jeff and your classmates to generate the most predictable and successful treatment plan possible for your patients. One successful treatment plan will pay for this entire course.
Lectures, Small Group Demonstrations, Hands-On Practice, and Follow-Up Mentoring Support
The Foundation for Advanced Continuing Education
FACE/co Dr. Jeff Brucia,DDS
1606 Stockton Street, #303
San Francisco, CA 94133